Nancy Pelosi Announces Plan for Another Impeachment of Donald Trump
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Sunday that the House of Representatives would move to impeach President Donald Trump again after some of his supporters stormed Capitol Hill last week.
- “In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both,” she wrote in a letter to Democrat colleagues in the House.
- Pelosi said that the president represents an “ongoing assault on our democracy” that requires immediate action.
- She said that House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer would request unanimous consent to bring up a resolution by Rep. Jamie Raskin calling for Vice President Mike Pence to activate the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office.
- If the vice president fails, Pelosi said, she will bring up an impeachment resolution on the following day.
- She said that the act to impeach the president again would require “great solemnity” going forward.
- Pelosi’s ongoing delay would make it significantly more difficult for Democrats to impeach the president before he leaves office, demonstrating that the process will again be more of a political exercise.
- On Friday, President-elect Joe Biden avoided taking a position on impeaching the president again with only a few more days left in office, saying he would leave it up to Congressional Democrat leaders.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell released a memo last week on what the Senate will do if the House of Representatives votes again to impeach Trump.
- He noted the earliest possible date that the Senate could begin the process would be January 19, one day before President-elect Joe Biden takes office.
- The actual impeachment trial, McConnell explained, would theoretically begin after Trump’s term is over.
MORE NEWS TODAY: