Twitter Starts Massive Purge of Pro-Life Conservative Accounts, Claiming “Harmful Activity”
- Twitter is massively purging conservative accounts in the aftermath of the Capitol riot.
- The social media website began cracking down on Twitter activity after rioters supporting President Donald Trump stormed the United States capitol Wednesday.
- Rioters committed acts of vandalism and postponed the certification process as members of Congress were forced to evacuate the building.
- By Friday evening, numerous large conservative Twitter accounts had posted saying they had lost several thousand followers.
- Daily Wire writer Matt Walsh tweeted after losing 5,000 followers, “It’s clear that Twitter is wiping out conservative accounts,That’s why your follower counts are going down. This is the biggest purge we’ve seen, and not the last.”
- Greenwald highlighted Twitter statistics from the Twitter accounts of the Daily Caller, the Federalist, Tucker Carlson, and Mollie Hemingway. The statistics he cited show that the Daily Caller was down almost 6,000 followers on Friday and down almost 29,000 on Saturday.
- A Twitter spokesperson told the Daily Caller News Foundation Friday that Twitter has been suspending accounts “in line with our policy on Coordinated Harmful Activity.”
- Twitter declined to comment on how many accounts have been suspended, and the platform did not return a further request for comment Saturday morning regarding Greenwald’s observations.
MORE NEWS TODAY: